- About Us
- People, Place & History
- Capital Projects
- Public Programs & Events
- Neighborhood Preservation Center
- Get Involved
Public Programs: Peg-Leg Pete Scavenger Hunt
The Peg-Leg Pete Scavenger Hunt began in 2009 as the St. Mark's Historic Landmark Fund's program during 5 Dutch Days 5 Boroughs. Each Hunt is based on the research presented in a Peg-Leg Pete Bouwerie Tour, each of which focuses on a different layer of the history that has happened on the footprint of the original bouwerie, or farm, of Peter (Petrus) Stuyvesant the last Dutch Director General of New Netherland who purchased the land from the Dutch West India Company in 1651.
The Hunt blends information from all the Tours in an effort to demonstrate the changes in the neighborhood and connections to the history of St. Mark's Church In-the-Bowery, built of the site of Stuyvesant’s farm chapel and continuing influence on the community since its consecration in 1799. Participants are sent around the East Village and surroundings, searching for clues about the area’s architecture, landscape and culture.
The first edition highlights Stuyvesant’s era and contains information that formed the basis of the first two scavenger hunts. Some of the sites are:
- Stuyvesant Street, the only street in Manhattan that runs true east west
- “Pear Tree Corner” supposedly named for a pear tree that Stuyvesant planted in 1647.
- Gramercy Park, the site of a river that used to run through the farm
- Peter Stuyvesant Post Office which sits atop the former “Stuyvesant Skating Pond”
- Tompkins Square Park, the western part of Stuyvesant’s Salt Meadows.
The fourth edition of the Bouwerie Tour highlights the cultural heritage during the Gilded Age (1870-1900) on the land of the Stuyvesant Farm.
The second edition of the Bouwerie Tour highlights the cultural heritage of the neighborhoods that have evolved on the land of the Stuyvesant Farm. This tour is centered on the rectorship of William Norman Guthrie at St. Mark's Church from 1911-1937, a time when the church was at the center of a bustling neighborhood lined with theaters, meeting houses, and dance clubs. Sites include:
- The Ernest Flagg Rectory, home to Guthrie during his time as rector.
- The Yiddish Rialto, as Second Avenue was known during this time for the abundance of theaters.
- Cooper Union, which housed one of the first reading rooms and was a popular place for rallies and protests.
- Saul Birn’s Building, named for the architect who advocated for the restoration of Second Avenue.
The fifth edition of the Bouwerie Tour highlights the cultural heritage of the "beatnik" era of the 1940s through 1950s on the footprint of the Stuyvesant Farm.
The third edition of the Bouwerie Tour highlights the cultural heritage during the “groovy” period of 1960s to 1970s on the land of the Stuyvesant Farm. This tour emphasizes on the change to the farm and its transformation to be the center of counterculture in New York as visual artists, poets, and dancers, musicians, students, activists, and hippies moved to the area.
The sixth edition of the Bouwerie Tour highlights the cultural heritage of the "punk" era of the 1980s on the footprint of the Stuyvesant Farm.
For a Peg-Leg Pete temporary tattoo from the Gilded Age, Jazz Age, Groovie, Beatnik, Punk, and now Progressive Tours email us.