- About Us
- People, Place & History
- Capital Projects
- Public Programs & Events
- Neighborhood Preservation Center
- Get Involved
2009 Programs & Events
5th Annual Landmark Fund Lecture - Preservation Without Limits: The Work of James Marston Fitch & the James Marston Fitch Charitable Foundation
May 19, 2009 at St. Mark's Church In-the-Bowery
(see Landmark Fund Lecture page)
A Commemoration of Peter Stuyvesant, part of the Quadricentennial celebration
September 11, 2009 at St. Mark's Church In-the-Bowery
On the ocassion of the 400th anniversary of Henry Hudson's "Voyage of Discovery", the St. Mark’s Historic Landmark Fund in partnership with the Society of Daughters of Holland Dames and St. Mark’s Church In-the-Bowery, welcomed the Commissioner of the Queen, Mr. J.J. Jorritsma, and a delegation of twenty individuals representing the province of Friesland, including Mrs. J.W. De Vries, Minister of Cultural Affairs, and Mr. F. Crone, Mayor of Leeuwarden. Over 100 people were in attendance for this event, which marked the first official visit of a delegation from Friesland to St. Mark’s. The Commissioner of The Queen of the Netherlands and members of the Executive Board of the province of Friesland, paid homage to their Frisian brother, Peter Stuyvesant, the last Dutch Governor of New Amsterdam, who is buried at St. Mark’s Church In-the-Bowery.
The stained glass window of Peter Stuyvesant, a gift received from the Society of Daughters of Holland Dames in 1903, was rededicated. As part of the program, poems written and exchanged between Peter Stuyvesant and a friend, Johan Farret, were read in Dutch and English by Rod Jellema and Jelle Krol who translated them, a plaque with the text of these poems was presented to the Rev. Winnie Varghese, Priest-in-Charge of St. Mark’s Church, and Dr. Jaap Jacobs, a Dutch Historian currently working on a biography of Peter Stuyvesant, reflected on Stuyvesant in New Amsterdam. Afterwards, the Mrs. De Vries presented a snow bell tree as a gift to the St. Mark’s, which was planted in the Church’s East Yard. For photos from the event click here.
openhousenewyork: Ernest Flagg Rectory/Neighborhood Preservation Center
October 9, 2009 at the Neighborhood Preservation Center
openhousenewyork, America's largest architectural and design event, celebrates New York's built environment. As part of the event, the Neighborhood Preservation Center highlighted the work of its resident partners and incubator groups and providing a tour of its Resource Library and meeting room facilities, which are available to those working toward the improvement and protection of New York City's diverse neighborhoods. For more information about openhousenewyork and a list of programs, visit their website at www.ohny.org.
Tompkins Graveside Marker Dedication
November 9, 2009 at St. Mark's Church In-the-Bowery
Former Governor of New York and Vice President of the United States, Daniel D. Tompkins, is buried at St. Mark's Church in-the-Bowery. His bust, which was presented by the Staten Island Chapter of the U.S. Daughters in 1812, is located in the West Yard. On November 9th, with members of the Scottish Rite Freemasonry in attendance, the New York City Chapter of the U.S. Daughters of 1812 re-commemorated his gravesite with a graveside marker and plaque honoring his patriotism and sacrifice.
St. Mark's Church Walking Tour
November 15, 2009 at St. Mark's Church In-the-Bowery
Associate Pastor of St. Mark's Church, Michael Relyea, led a walking tour of the Church for an informative look at its cultural and architectural history. This program was a part of 5 Dutch Days 5 Boroughs.